My Photo
Name:
Location: The Promised Land

This is my triumphant return to the lifestyle I've always furthered and forwarded in my heart, at least, so let's blast off. The first half of my life has been incredible and the second segment will include more splendors than any Ottoman Sultan could ever have wished for in his golden repose. Anyway, fasten your laughter belt cuz you're on a collision course with wackiness.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Rustlings

Ah, yes. The scary time of year when even a program titled "Bigfootville" catches my attention. I watched "The Shining" again last night, well, starting it at 2 a.m. and that really got the juices flowing. What a masterpiece. And the disc has a special feature documentary about the making of the movie. Big deal, I know, but this is one of the few extras that I watch on any disc, usually preferring just to keep the illusion alive without getting too technical. First of all, the feature-ette is made by a 17-year-old Vivian Kubrick who has amazing access to her father, Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall, and the rest. I get so captivated by the behind-the-scenes action that I can't actually believe I'm getting this glimpse into the creation and actualization of art. So I watched the documentary and then I watched it again with Vivian's commentary. I think I'm in love with her. Hell, she's Stanley's daughter and she's my age. You may remember her cameo in "2001" as the little girl who wanted a bush baby for her birthday. Anyway, if you want the perfect Halloween scary movie, I think you, faithful reader, know where I stand.

Patrick and Celeste make their customary Friday stopover at Clay's place.

And here's good ol' Dave Newton with a festive glaze on his mug. I remember him telling me, in 1980, that "The Shining" was filled with 3's because of the mystic significance of the number and I still look for that when I watch. He's right, too. There's all kind of cool triangulations and trios in there.
Also, if you're ever in Yosemite Valley, stop in the Ahwahnee Hotel. The interiors are the inspiration for the Overlook Hotel and many of the main rooms in the atrium are still wonderfully intact. It's truly spooky to walk around in there. There's no room 237, though. Sidebar, the numeric value of 237 is... 3. 2+3+7 =12. 1+2 =3. Coincidence? A one in nine chance.

I finally started painting again and I'm working on this beach scene to get my chops back. I meant to paint something macabre. I'll do it this week. Watch and see.










2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is beautiful - I'm glad you're painting more now.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim T says: great picture of Newton. I like the beach painting too.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home