My Photo
Name:
Location: The Promised Land

This is my triumphant return to the lifestyle I've always furthered and forwarded in my heart, at least, so let's blast off. The first half of my life has been incredible and the second segment will include more splendors than any Ottoman Sultan could ever have wished for in his golden repose. Anyway, fasten your laughter belt cuz you're on a collision course with wackiness.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Santiago, Under the Volcano

We just had a nice tremor here that shook the apartment for a few seconds and I hope that settles the issue. I spent the last night at La Clinica Alemana after Dr. Alejandro Orizola Molina (pictured here at my initial examination)reattached my Brad Pitt tendon (he played Achilles in the piece of shit "Troy"). By midday I was released and watching golf and futbol but the medication didn't pack enough kick for the likes of the Rocket Man, my new nickname down here. I had my cousin Natalia call the doctor and get me something that a junkie might pop for a chaser. I expected just another pill or two but there are little differences here. Example: When she came back she had a syringe and the next-door neighbor who is a nurse and she stuck me. And I ain't talking about no paper cup, I'm talking about a glass of beer. The whole episode took about half an hour to resolve and I watched the courageous U.S. team show twice the heart of their Italian counterparts and escape with a 1-1 draw against all odds. Hopefully the worst of the pain is passed but the operation was pretty wild. After they numbed the lower half of my body (and I would choose death before I would remain as a paraplegic, I can now confidently state) I fell asleep on my own on the table and had some "All that Jazz" style hospital dreams. At least that's what my inner-eye backwards-type vision replays.

Now the first night after comes to a close and I feel a major relief that the deed is done and I can focus on ... so many roads to ease my soul. It's good to be a hippie. Another benefit of being here is the winter solstice is only a few days away and short cool days are perfect for rebuilding a wounded spirit. I've always loved stepping out of one season and into another with just a flick across the tropics and the southern cross pointing the way. Every time I've come here I've had a special, magical moment or two watching the sunrise over the Andes prior to landing and this trip was no exception. The sky was the most intense orange I've ever seen in contrast to the light blue reflections in the snow on the mountains and Mount Aconcagua (highest peak on the continent) casting a giant presence on the Argentinian border at the top of the sky.

Faces of Chile
Reminded that I'm a half-breed
Where does the blood go?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home