My Photo
Name:
Location: The Promised Land

This is my triumphant return to the lifestyle I've always furthered and forwarded in my heart, at least, so let's blast off. The first half of my life has been incredible and the second segment will include more splendors than any Ottoman Sultan could ever have wished for in his golden repose. Anyway, fasten your laughter belt cuz you're on a collision course with wackiness.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Righty-O!!!!!

One of the things I love about L.A. is some of the oddball stuff you don't see just everywhere, like Felix here of Big Felix Cadillac and Chevrolet, just look for the Big Felix from the 110 Freeway! This is right around the corner from where I work, just south of downtown and I pass it at sunset, for now, as I start my northwest journey to Hollywood. I still get a kick of looking at the exit for the Hollywood Freeway and think, "Mmm, that's my exit." Goofballs, everyone. As I sit here tonight I only have satellite radio for music as my internet signal goes in and out like so much good love-making but bad for the music streaming, you see, so I have been listening mostly to the '40's music with the big bands and the Cole Porters and the Duke Ellingtons but tonight I looked up some different options and settled on a station with the dubious name of "Lifestyle" which nearly scared me away but the description was intriguing. The first thing I heard when I tuned in was Mozart followed by a pretty piece by Paco de Lucia, who I had the good fortune to see play live once, and then they played "The Knife" by Genesis, live. Well, I think I'll stick with this one for a while. Next they played a little number by Tony Levin. Not bad. Between this and Steve Jones on Jonesy's Jukebox on Indie 103.1 FM, which I admit is an amazing station and had given up hope that commercial radio would ever be this good again, I have a nice music blend around for a fine soundtrack. Now I must survive the latino CDs they play at work but I actually am able to shut the sound out so it's just like sitting in a Mexican restaurant for six hours a day. Back when I airbrushed t-shirts at Six Flags over Georgia we had three different stores around the park and whichever one you were assigned to was the one that you'd have to hear the looped soundtrack for that area for the duration of the shift so some were more desirable than others. Usually the third time you hear a song in a one hour period is the one that sets you off but after about four hours of it you don't even hear it and process other junk. There were also times when we would take "breaks" down by the tombstones where the railroad went through and these respites kept the beach scenes and the color schemes fresh and fruity. I can't believe I said that.
But, Felix, indeed. I tried to capture Cadillac Felix but he came out blurred as I was in a car in the dark and I couldn't just hop out in my condition. No, my hopping days are behind and before me. May we all have that bright a future! Anyway, Chevy Felix below will do just fine in a pinch and I'm sure he'll tell us what to do. Which would make a better name for a son: Cadillac Felix Aguirre or Chevy Felix Aguirre? They're both pretty fucking good names.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rockbottom will get you miata felix

8:19 AM  
Blogger C. Martin Croker said...

Nice linear post "Gerr"(or was it "Rob"?). That little Haunted House set-up you could only see from the train (or down behind the now-outlawed petting zoo) was old-school Six-Flag for sure. I tried to take the wife by that locale --now ONLY viewable by a needless trainride-- and all that's there is a fence and part of a roller-coaster. Hard to go home when it's gone.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home